The 2019-2020 JCEF local Scholarship Application is open!
Deadline: January 31st, 2020
How to Apply
- Fill out the scholarship application. All items are required, if it doesn’t apply, enter N/A.
- You must save application form (PDF) to your computer or school account. Then, type into and edit the form, re-saving each time you make changes.
- You (& your parent/guardian if you’re younger than 18) need to sign & date the application.
- Complete your academic resume.
- Complete your Activities Chart
- Log into your CIS portfolio account at: OregonCIS
- Under the Dashboard heading (top of the page) click on “Reports” then on “Activities Chart.”
- When a new page opens, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Create Draft Chart” button.
- Once the document is open in Word, adjust the total hours for each activity.
- Review the list of available scholarships
- Complete the scholarship selection form
- Print a copy of the confirmation page once you submit the scholarship selection form and add it to your packet.
- If you select scholarships with additional criteria, make sure this information gets turned into Counseling with your application.
- Write and submit a typed personal essay, up to 750 words (no more than two pages, double-spaced) comprised of an introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion. The body paragraphs should address each of the four following questions:
What are your specific educational plans and career goals and why? What inspires you to achieve them?
What have you done for your family or community that you care about the most and why?
Describe a personal accomplishment and the strengths and skills you used to achieve it.
Describe a significant change or experience that has occurred in your life. How did you respond and what did you learn about yourself?
- 2 Recommendation letters
- You are required to submit two recommendation letters with your application. One is required to be from a teacher or school-based staff. The second can be from an additional teacher or school-based staff, or a community member.
- Your Teachers & School Staff have the appropriate form for the recommendation letters available, or they may write a letter.
- For community members, Print the instructions (PDF) that you need to give to the people you are asking for a recommendation.
- Make sure that the person you ask knows you well.
- Print out your Activities Chart or a Resume. Give it to the person to assist them in writing you a letter.
- Give each person a reasonable amount of time to complete your request. Politely check back with each person to make sure it is completed.
- Plan ahead and don’t wait until the last minute to make your requests
Bring your scholarship packet to Amy Cablayan in the Counseling Center by January 31st, 2020.
Get it in early, so that it can be critiqued and checked for completeness. Your scholarship packet needs to contain in this order:
- Scholarship Check List
- Completed, signed and dated scholarship application
- Academic Resume
- CIS Activities Chart
- Personal Essay
- 2 signed letters of recommendation
- Additional scholarship criteria if needed (essays, forms, applications, proof of involvement)
Keep a personal copy of your application and all materials in a hard copy file at home. Keep your electronic file materials well organized on your own computer and have a back-up on a flash drive for easy access in case you need to revise, edit or print items quickly to meet other important scholarship deadlines.