The 2018-2019 JCEF local Scholarship Application & period to apply will open November 1, 2018
How to Apply
- Fill out the scholarship application. All items are required, if it doesn’t apply, enter N/A.
- It is a PDF that you can type your information into, save and edit as needed.
- Both you & your parent/guardian need to sign & date the application.
- Write and submit a typed personal essay, up to 750 words (no more than two pages, double-spaced) comprised of an introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion. The body paragraphs should address each of the four following questions:
What are your specific educational plans and career goals and why? What inspires you to achieve them?
What have you done for your family or community that you care about the most and why?
Describe a personal accomplishment and the strengths and skills you used to achieve it.
Describe a significant change or experience that has occurred in your life. How did you respond and what did you learn about yourself?
- Complete your Academic Resume
- Complete your Activities Chart
- Log into your CIS portfolio account at: OregonCIS
- If you have questions, talk to Coleen Moore in the Career Center.
- Review the list of available scholarships
- Complete the scholarship selection form
- Print the confirmation page once you submit the scholarship selection form and add it to your packet.
- If you select scholarships with additional criteria, make sure this information gets turned into the Career Center with your application.
- 2 Teacher recommendation letters
- Your Teachers & School Staff have the appropriate form for the recommendation letters available. All you need to do is ask the Teacher and/or Staff person to give you a recommendation.
- Make sure that the Teacher or Staff person you ask knows you well.
- Print out your Activities Chart or a Resume. Give it to the Teacher and/or Staff person to assist them in writing you a letter.
- Give each Teacher and/or Staff person a reasonable amount of time to complete your request. Politely check back with each Teacher or Staff person to make sure it is completed.
- Plan ahead and don’t wait until the last minute to make your requests.
- 2 Community recommendation letters
- Print the instructions (PDF) that you need to give to the people you are asking for a recommendation.
- Transcript – Your transcript release is covered with the signatures on the scholarship application.
Bring your scholarship packet to Coleen Moore in the Career Center by Friday, February 1st, 2019.
Get it in early, so that it can be critiqued and checked for completeness. Your scholarship packet needs to contain in this order:
- Scholarship Check List
- Completed, signed and dated scholarship application
- Academic Resume
- CIS Activities Chart
- Personal Essay
- 4 letters of recommendation (2 Teacher, 2 Community)
- Additional scholarship criteria if needed (essays, forms, applications, proof of involvement)
Keep a personal copy of your application and all materials in a hard copy file at home. Keep your electronic file materials well organized on your own computer. Have back-up on a flash drive for easy access in case you need to revise, edit or print items quickly to meet other important scholarship deadlines.